- Cam Talbot has been fantastic and is providing the solid goaltending the team has been desperately looking for for years!!! He seems to thrive with the workload too which is great. 5 shutouts already!!!
- Adam Larsson continues to impress using his size more than I would have imagined. I love how calm he looks on the ice. He never seems to panic, makes smart decision and logs a lot of minutes
- How great has Andres Sekera been??? He has been fantastic and the team needs him to be. Good on him for having a great season.
- Are we done with the damn analytics and Kris Russell??? Sure he has some warts but who doesn’t? He helps solidify the backend and I am happy he is an Oiler.
- Jordan Eberle, Nuge and Milan Lucic are all struggling and you’d think they’re going to turn it around at some point. The Oilers are a good team and these three are all slumping. I can’t wait to see what happens once they wake up!
- Leon Draisaitl is awesome! That is all!
- I love the Oilers size up front and I hope they can add even more size at the deadline. Bryan Boyle would be a great addition in my opinion. He is huge, has experience, call kill penalties and of course is on an expiring contract on a bad team.
- Imagine the size up front if they added him to play up front with Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Draisaitl, Henricks and Slepyslev. Even Pouliot is 6’3! Love it!!!
- Sure Lucic has been struggling of late but just wait until the playoffs. I would venture a guess that he will be uber important and will show his true value. I can’t wait to see it!!!
- Bring on the playoffs!!!
It’s hard to believe that the Oilers are where they are today. Sitting in a playoff spot with a 10 point cushion. 1 point out of first place in the division and 5 points out of first in the conference. 10th in the league. When the lineup was finally set for opening night, I felt that the team could push for a playoff spot. The team is better, stronger, tougher, more defensively responsible and scoring at a clip that is hard to believe since we are not getting much in the way of secondary scoring. This team is built for a playoff push and it’s exciting.
1. It is now Wednesday January 18th, 2017 and the Edmonton have now played 46 games. They sit 2nd in the Pacific division, 7 points up on the wild card spot and 9th in the entire league. I know that Oilers fans have been hurt in the past and that it is hard to believe in this organization but… it is time to believe!!! This team is for real. The stats above are real and this team is actually a good team! They may not be great but 9th out of 30th is pretty damn good!
It is January 10th, 2017 and the Edmonton Oilers, with a win tonight, will be first in the division. Yes that is a true statement. I can’t even remember the last time a game even mattered this late in the season let alone was for first in the division. Whether you want to believe it or not this years version of the Oilers is actually a good team! Complain about individual players, coaches or management all you want but the fact is that the season is basically half way down and the Oilers are not only in the hunt but are a win away from the division lead! How many games will it take for everyone to believe???
As of this morning the Edmonton Oilers sit first place in the Pacific division with a record of 11-8-1 good for 23 points! Sure the team had a bit of a rough go on the road on November but that was to be expected. It sure beats the past few November’s when I already knew who the top three predicted picks were in the next June’s N.H.L. entry draft. Not only did I know but I had opinions on who they should draft and why! Let’s look back.
The Edmonton Oilers are in a slump having gone 2-5-1 in their last 8 games. I, being a fan who has witnessed many a streak like this, am very concerned and very worried. Is this the real Oilers or is it simply a blip on the radar…??? No one knows the answer but I am truly concerned that this team is back to reality and headed back to the basement. I know I should be more positive but how can I be? I’ve watched this team be terrible for so long and it’s only natural that I’m wary of this team and this organization. How could I not be?
The Oilers sit atop the Pacific division after two back-to-back road wins. They hold a 5 point lead over the second place Anaheim Ducks and are one of the only two teams with a positive goal differential. The Sharks have lost 3 in a row and after two wins in a row the Kings are tied for third in the division. The Oilers have one more road game against the defending Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins. They have collected 5 points in four games and are heading in the right direction.
The Edmonton Oilers won a big game last night against the Washington Capitals in a game I didn’t think they could win. The Caps are favored by many to be a Cup contender while the Oilers are…well…the Oilers. They WERE the laughing stock of the league for way too many years. But that was then and this is now!